Tuesday 7 April 2015


Critical reflection Outline 

1)     What happened?
-         As it is a writing course, certainly there was a lot of writing. Taking the learning to the next level, the students were to comment on at least on 2 of their classmates’ works. With the feedback given, one has to write a revised one which is again commented by the tutor and other classmates.
-          Apart from the formal 5 minute presentation on the problem-solution essay, the students were given some practise beforehand by making them do short informal presentations in small groups since the starting of the module. Hence, the final presentation is an opportunity to apply the skills they have learnt so far.

2)     Why/How did it happened? What factors contributed? How do you feel about it?
-         The module has been carefully designed. Most of the students were informed and some discouraged that they are a lot of writings to do in this module. To encourage the students, the first writing assignment was to write on the topic “My English Learning Journey”. This assignment was written from heart by many. Hence when the other students were to comment on the other students’ work, they had the opportunity to know more about one another and had a shared feelings over some common reasons for which they were to take this module.
-         The students were strongly encouraged to comment on every work of their classmates’. But what makes the feedbacks more useful is the posting of the revised drafts using the comments given by the tutor and fellow classmates.

3)     New interpretation of the experience? What is the significance? What did you earn about yourself and others?
-         Every student would have got feedbacks on their work sometime back, yet the system of commenting on others work with strict criteria as though one’s a teacher was new for many. It was fun to criticise someone else’s work. However, initially, I was not able to proofread my own works. I suppose I was either too satisfied or overconfident of my work.
-         Though l I loved to read the comments left on my essays, if any parts (content or phrases), which I had considered the best, received negative comments, I had been very stubborn to accept the mistake and change it. Now, when I reflect, over the course of time, I had changed myself and have become more open to critics.

4)     What will you do as a result of this experience? How will you use it to inform your future?
The impacts of this module are well reflected in the essays that I am writing for other modules. The skills learnt in this module are transferrable and could not be easily forgotten. This is because throughout the university life there are going to be many more essays or papers to write and the learnt skills are going to be applied often. I will still continue the habit commenting on my friends’ works and discuss with other friends whether my comments are correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment