Friday 17 April 2015

CRITICAL REFLECTION

Module ES1102 is basically a writing module, where the students' writing skills in English are improved. To make writing practises a little more interesting, the students were to open a blog and post all their writing assignments there. It was also strongly encouraged to leave comments on at least  3 other students' blog posts. With the peer review and the tutor's comments, the students were to rewrite a revised assignment. This practice of feedback giving enhances the entire learning process. Apart from just developing the students writing skills and to give them a break from  continuous  writing  practices, there were  informal presentations to improve communication skills and one final presentation to introduce good formal presentation methods.

My  favourite  part of the module was to proof read another student's assignment and give comments. Students might have helped their  friends  proof read their assignments before. However, in this module the students were to follow strict criteria and give detailed comments. I also loved receiving comments, though I was not able to understand why my classmates and my tutor often commented on the flow of my content initially. Soon after my reader response was marked and returned, I realised  my major issue in writing were coherency and the tendency to make statements without support. Upon receiving my final daft marked, I am glad to see my drastic improvement in my coherency and content.I have not only improved on my coherency but have also developed my overall writing skills. 

Apart from just developing my writing skills I have also learnt how to accept criticism. Accepting criticism is hard, especially when the very work was considered the best by the student meets negative  responses from fellow classmates and tutor. At several instances, I had been stubborn to even correct the work that was heavily  criticised. Yet, only when I started accepting  the unexpected and disappointing remarks, I was able to do well in my final draft of problem-solution essay.

The impacts of this module have already started reflecting on my other modules' writing assignments. I started to treat my work as though of someone else and corrected it strictly. Hence the skills acquired in this module is  transferable  and will not  diminish over time as there going to be many writing  assignments  in the nest 3 years in the university. I am certain  that I will continue the practice of giving and receiving feedback on assignments as it has become an habit now.

The  coordinator(s) of this module have to be credited for making this module a successful one. However, it was also my tutor, Mr Brad Blackstone, for his constant encouragement and  his strong will to make his students experience positive changes in English after completing  this module.









2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Pryanga, for this comprehensive, well focused reflection. You do a fine job of contextualizing the writing in ES1102 and then describing the review process. At the same time, you express your opinion of this with good clarity. It’s most interesting to me when you state, in reference to peer review, that "Students might have helped their friends proof read their assignments before. However, in this module the students were to follow strict criteria and give detailed comments." You are alluding to our rubrics, which it seems you appreciate having. I can see that later when you state as follows: "The impacts of this module have already started reflecting on my other modules' writing assignments. I started to treat my work as though of someone else and corrected it strictly." That means you have started to internalize the rubric. Good for you!

    But do you think that doing so was universally true? Did every student do this? What happens when a peer whose language use is not so good gets called to review the paper of a peer whose language use is great? Did you ever feel that when your peers gave you feedback on language use, that was just as useful as feedback on content or organization?

    Whatever the case, I also appreciate how you have given thought to how this review might impact your writing in the future. All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Professor Brad.
    Yes not all the students would look at the same way i look at this module. For some, it can be ver important, as it is to me. And for some, they might be doing this just for sake of completing this module. The latter might not have been as enthusiastic as others. However, they might regret for not utilising the given chance when they take tougher english modules.
    I had never felt that my language was better than that of the others. If a person, with good or bad english, has criticized my language I would just feel that I am not able to please him and there would have been some mistakes somewhere.

    ReplyDelete